October 2013 - world-first Trial for Tendon Repair Using Tendon Stem Cells Published in the Prestigious American Journal of Sports Medicine.
March 2015 - an injection of a patient's bone marrow stem cells during rotator cuff surgery significantly improved healing and tendon durability, according to a study presented today at the 2015 Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS).
- Oldest news
- March 2011 - UK Stem Cell Company Cures Race Horse Tendons, Humans Next.
April 2014 - researchers at Columbia Engineering announced today that they have successfully grown fully functional human cartilage in vitro from human stem cells derived from fat tissue.
April 2015 - Dutch scientists develop 3D printed fiber structures for bone cartilage repair on a large scale.
Note: in adulthood, the biological triggers that tell cartilage to regenerate are turned off.
- Growing tooth tissue
July 2010 - A gel that can help decayed teeth grow back in just weeks may mean an end to fillings. The gel, which is being developed by scientists in France, works by prompting cells in teeth to start multiplying. They then form healthy new tooth tissue that gradually replaces what has been lost to decay.
August 2011 - The team - a collaboration between dentists, chemists and bio-chemists - has produced a compound that temporarily fills small cavities and allows the tooth's enamel to re-grow. "This may sound too good to be true, but we are essentially helping acid-damaged teeth to regenerate themselves. It is a totally natural non-surgical repair process and is entirely pain-free too," said Professor Jennifer Kirkham, from the University of Leeds Dental Institute, who led the research team.
- Growing entire teeth
July 2011 - A tooth grown from embryonic cells has been successfully transplanted into the jaw of a mouse. The transplant is a step towards providing artificial replacements for donor organs that are in short supply.
July 2013 - A team from the Guangzhou Institutes of Biomedicine and Health reveals how they used urine stem cells to grow teeth in mice.
2009 - The rat hearts beat just as if there were inside a live animal, but even more remarkable is how each one has been made: by coating the stripped-down “scaffolding” of one rat’s heart with tissue grown from another rat’s stem cells.
2013 - For the first time, complete lab-grown kidneys have been successfully transplanted into rats, filtering and discharging urine as a normal kidney would.
Body parts Edit
Urinary bladder Edit
April 2006 - US scientists have successfully implanted bladders grown in the laboratory from patients' own cells into people with bladder disease.
2008 - Doctors implanted an organ made from the unnamed patient’s own cells into her body in October 2008. ‘I feel very fortunate because I can have a normal life,’ she said.
April 2011 - researchers have grown vaginas in a lab, and the organs are working normally in four teenage patients who were among the first people to receive such an implant, scientists reported today.
May 2014 - woman born without a vagina has one made using skin from her THIGH.
November 2008 - A Colombian woman has become the world’s first recipient of windpipe tissue constructed from a combination of donated tissue and her own cells.
March 2011 - the world's first tissue-engineered urinary tubes or urethras, grown in the lab using patients' own cells, have been hailed a success by medical experts. US surgeons have used the lab-grown tubes to treat five Mexican boys with damaged urinary tracts.
Blood vessels Edit
2011 - Artificial blood vessels created on a 3D printer.
2015 - Researchers have developed artificial blood vessels made from a special elastomer material, which has excellent mechanical properties. Over time, these artificial blood vessels are replaced by endogenous material. At the end of this restorative process, a natural, fully functional vessel is once again in place. The method has already been used successfully in rats.
See also Edit
- ↑ World-first Trial for Tendon Repair Using Tendon Stem Cells Published in the Prestigious American Journal of Sports Medicine, Oct. 2, 2013, PRNewswire
- ↑ Stem cells may improve tendon healing, reduce retear risk in rotator cuff surgery, March 26, 2015, Science Daily
- ↑ http://singularityhub.com/2011/03/10/uk-stem-cell-company-cures-race-horse-tendons-humans-next/
- ↑ Columbia Engineers Grow Functional Human Cartilage in Lab, Apr. 30, 2014, Columbia Engineering
- ↑ http://www.3ders.org/articles/20150430-dutch-scientists-develop-3d-printed-fiber-structures-for-bone-cartilage-repair.html
- ↑ http://engineering.columbia.edu/can-engineers-really-grow-cartilage-lab
- ↑ Gel that can help decayed teeth grow back could end fillings, 27 July 2010, Pat Hagan, Daily Mail
- ↑ , 22 August 2011, Tom Clarke, Channel4.com
- ↑ Scientists Can Regrow Teeth With Lasers, May 28, 2014, Kevin Loria, Business Insider
- ↑ http://www.gizmag.com/low-power-laser-stem-cell-tooth-repair/32309/
- ↑ http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/scientists-use-lasers-regrow-teeth-stem-cells
- ↑ Artificially grown tooth transplanted into mouse, 12 July 2011, Melissae Fellet, New Scientist
- ↑ Urine Stem Cells Used To Grow Teeth In Cell Regeneration Study, 1 August 2013, Sara Gates, The Huffington Post
- ↑ Hybrid hearts could solve transplant shortage, 3 June 2009, newscientist.com
- ↑ Kidney breakthrough: complete lab-grown organ works in rats, 14 April 2013, newscientist.com
- ↑ Lab-grown bladders 'a milestone', 3 April 2006, BBC'
- ↑ Woman with lab-grown vagina talks about life-changing procedure, April 19, 2014, Victoria Taylor, New York Daily News
- ↑ Lab-Grown Vaginas Implanted Successfully in 4 Teenagers, April 11, 2014, Bahar Gholipour, Scientific American
- ↑ Woman born without a vagina has one made using skin from her THIGH, 7 May 2014, Anna Hodgekiss, Daily Mail
- ↑ Woman receives windpipe built from her stem cells, 19 November 2008, newscientist.com, accesat la 20 decembrie 2015
- ↑ World's first tissue-engineered urethras hailed success, 8 March 2011, Michelle Roberts, BBC
- ↑ First U.S. Patient Gets Stem Cell Trachea Transplant, 16 January 2012, ABC News
- ↑ http://www.bbc.com/news/health-26885335
- ↑ World’s first biolimb: Rat forelimb grown in the lab, 3 June 2015, newscientist.com
- ↑ Rat limb grown from cells in the lab, and primate limbs are next, 4 June 15, Liat Clark, Wired
- ↑ Artificial blood vessels created on a 3D printer, 16 September 2011, BBC
- ↑ New material for creating artificial blood vessels, April 28, 2015, sciencedaily.com
- Spare body parts could be grown in factories in years after scientists implant lab-produced organs in humans, 5 September 2011, Alanah Eriksen, Daily Mail
- How laboratory-grown organs will transform our lives, 8 July 2015, Mark Miodownik, The Guardian